Thursday, September 13, 2012

Update on the China Front

A couple days ago (Wednesday) Jayson and I explored the Temple of Heaven and the Hong Qiao Shi Chang (Pearl Market). I will have pictures us as soon as possible. The Pearl Market was a blast!!! I came to China with a list of things I really wanted to buy, and I found most of them! I had my chop made for $60 kuai, about $10 USD. It is really pretty carved ox bone and has my Chinese name carved into the bottom. I really bargained with the guy for a long time. He initially wanted to charge me $350 kuai and I eventually I got him down but told him that $60 was my final offer and when he asked for $70 I walked away. So naturally he yelled after me and agreed that he could make it work for $60 hahaha. I think this was the highlight of the day. I also bought two scarves, $25 kuai each. I asked my roommate if I got a good price and she was really impressed that I was able to get them for so cheap!! Maybe this was my proudest moment so far in Beijing (or maybe my proudest moment was today when I bought more minutes for my sim card and I managed to communicate with the newspaper stand guy only in Chinese without any help from Jayson). Back at the Pearl Market I also bought some porcelain chopsticks with pandas painted on them. And of course the two things you can’t leave Beijing without buying—a little red book (it has Mao’s writings both in Chinese and English), and a Mao hat with the red star embroidered on the front. Success! (Don’t worry Nana, I’m not a communist ☺ these are just souvenirs haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment